Hackney Community Transport have partnered with Hackney Libraries to deliver a project called Books Together (BT). BT offers older disabled and/or socially isolated people access to a unique shared reading and cultural discovery program through the exploration and group readings of great literature. The project enables older people facing multiple barriers, including those who have previously never read literature, to celebrate and engage with literary art through a program of shared reading. A full update will be provided in the Autumn.
Who is the project for?
If you are an older person, living in Hackney, who is disabled and or socially isolated, you can access this programme. You will gain a unique shared reading and cultural discovery program through the exploration and group readings of great literature.
There is free transport for people living within a 2 mile radius of Clapton and Homerton Libraries. If you are living outside this radius, you are still very welcome to come along to the library sessions, no booking required.
How do I register?
We will take direct self-referrals; as well as referrals from local organisations and our partners – referral form to be completed
If you know someone who is interested, then please drop us a line and we can talk you through the next steps
Individuals can continue on the program for as long as they wish
Where and When are the Groups running? The groups run weekly:
- Tuesdays starting 5 November – Clapton Library – Northwold Road, London E5 8RA – 11am-12noon
- Thursdays starting 7 November – Homerton Library – Homerton High Street, Homerton, London E9 6AS - 11am-12 noon
- How Does Shared Reading Work? Shared Reading groups are free to attend. It’s a lovely way to spend an hour talking about things that are real. Coffee, tea and biscuits are served as well!
- Who is Running the Group? Group Leaders are volunteers who are trained and supported by the Reader. They aim to create a welcoming environment where everybody can enjoy the experience of sharing and discussing great poems and short stories together.
- What is The Reader? The Reader is a national charity that trains volunteers to run shared reading groups in all sorts of locations across the UK. In Hackney, The Reader is working with Hackney Library Services and Hackney Community Transport to make shared reading available to our local residents.
General project information:
How do I Book a Free Transport Place?
Call Hackney Transport and they will guide you. Places are on first come first serve basis.
What time will I be collected and returned?
The minibus will arrive at an agreed time, with passenger assistant who will call you ahead of arriving 10 minutes before hand; they will pick you up each week and drop you back to your home. Hackney Transport will call you or your contact person on the telephone the day before to remind you about your pick up time.