What is travel training?
Independent Travel Training provides young people with Special Educational Needs the skills and confidence to make the home-to-school journey independently on public transport.
What are the benefits?
There are many benefits for young people after completing the programme:
- Increased confidence and independence
- Decreased reliance on specialist transport and parents/carers
- Improved contribution at school
- More opportunities to go out with friends and join clubs
- More opportunities to go to college or find a job
Taken together, these can make a real difference to young people's lives.
How does the programme work?
The programme takes approximately 6 weeks, but this is dependent on the young person and their individual needs. Each young person has a Travel Trainer, who completes 4 modules of training with them:
- Learning the journey and foundation travel skills
- Personal safety and problem solving
- Journey practice and learning alternative routes
- Building confidence and becoming independent
Over time and when they are ready, the young person will complete more of the journey on their own until they are travelling safely and independently.
We continue to support every young person after they’re travelling independently. We have two further support reviews at key points over the following year to check in and ensure the young person is still travelling safely.